Click To See the Unity View
Click To See the 2D View
1) Artemisia Gentileschi, born in Rome, Papal States, on July 8th 1593 to 1656, was an Italian Baroque painter.
2) She was the eldest child of Prudenzia di Ottaviano Montoni & the Tuscan painter Orazio Gentileschi. She took inspiration from her father's painting style, heavily influenced by the work of Caravaggio.
3) Her style was a highly naturalistic approach & she had to overcome the "traditional attitude & psychological submission to this brainwashing and jealousy of her obvious talent."
4) Many of her paintings feature women from myths, allegories, and the Bible, including victims, suicides, and warriors. She was known for being able to depict the female figure with great naturalism.
5) She was also known for her skill handling color to express dimension and drama. Her achievements were overshadowed by her getting raped & being tortured with thumbscrews to give evidence during trial.
6) She is now regarded as one of the most progressive & expressive painters of her generation, with the recognition of her talents exemplified by major exhibitions at fine art institutions.
Date of Birth