Click To See the Unity View
Click To See the 2D View
1) Henry Nkole Tayali born 22 Nov 1943, died on 22 July 1987, was a multi-lingual Zambian painter, sculptor, printmaker, raconteur and lecturer. He has been described as Zambia's most famous painter.
2) As a young man, Tayali had started his painting using water colors, producing works of great detail, vividness and vibrancy - his depiction of human figures similar in style to Italian Renaissance.
3) His paintings evolved from the fine art style of the late 1950s, 1960s, early 1970s, to semi-abstract, through to abstract, and then edging to minimalism at the time of his death.
4) His paintings were distinctive, blending African and Western styles, reflecting the influences on his life. Tayali's paintings ranged in size from small scale to large wall murals.
5) Tayali was one of the first Africans to work tirelessly to raise the profile of indigenous African art and crafts in Zambia, Africa, and the world through workshops, conferences, discussions, exhibits
6) In 1989, over seventy artists from around Zambia convened at Evelyn Hone College of Applied Arts and Sciences, and formed the Zambia National Visual Arts Council (VAC) in his honor. From Wikepedia
Date of Birth