Click To See the Unity View
Click To See the 2D View
1) Jean-Leon Gerome, born in Vesoul, Haute-Saone, France on May 11, 1824 to January 10, 1904 (age 79), was a French painter and sculptor in the style now known as academicism.
2) His paintings were so widely reproduced that he was "arguably the world's most famous living artist by 1880." He's also considered one of the most important painters from this academic period.
3) The range of his oeuvre included historical painting, Greek mythology, Orientalism, portraits, and other subjects, bringing the academic painting tradition to an artistic climax.
4) In 2008, his painting Femme circassienne voilee or Veiled Circassian Beauty (1876) was auctioned for 2,057,250 GBP ($2,749,905.50 USD); it now belongs to the Qatar Museums Authority in Doha.
5) His prodigious energy, long career, & wide popularity resulted in an enormous body of work that now resides in museums and private collections around the world; Approx. 700 paintings & 70 sculptures.
6) His legacy lived on through the works of his thousands of students from many countries, including: Odilon Redon, Mary Cassatt, Vasily Vasilyevich Vereshchagin, Stanislaw Chlebowski, & many others.
Date of Birth