Click To See the Unity View
Click To See the 2D View
1) Johannes Vermeer, October 1632 to December 1675, was a Dutch Baroque Period painter who specialized in domestic interior scenes of middle-class life.
2) A moderately successful provincial genre painter, recognized in Delft and The Hague. He produced relatively few paintings and was not wealthy, leaving his wife and children in debt at his death.
3) Vermeer worked slowly and with great care, and frequently used very expensive pigments. He is particularly renowned for his masterly treatment and use of light in his work.
4) Originally, Vermeer's works were largely overlooked by art historians for two centuries after his death. His work was rediscovered at about 1860 by German museum director Gustav Waagen.
5) Upon the rediscovery of Vermeer's work, several prominent Dutch artists modeled their style on his work, including Simon Duiker, Danish painter Wilhelm Hammershoi, and American Thomas Wilmer Dewing.
6) His reputation and works have been featured in both literature and in films. Girl with a Pearl Earring, movie and film, presents his creation of famous painting and relationship with fictional model.
Date of Birth