Click To See the Unity View
Click To See the 2D View
1) Juan Gris was born in Madrid on 23 March 1887 and later studied engineering at the Madrid School of Arts and Sciences. He died at age 40 from kidney failure.
2) From 1904 to 1905, he studied painting with the academic artist Jose Moreno Carbonero. It was in 1905 that Jose Victoriano Gonzalez adopted the more distinctive name Juan Gris.
3) In 1906 he moved to Paris and became friends with the poets Guillaume Apollinaire, Max Jacob, and artists Henri Matisse, Georges Braque, Fernand Leger and Jean Metzinger.
4) Unlike Picasso and Braque, whose Cubist works were practically monochromatic, Gris painted with bright harmonious colors in daring, novel combinations in the manner of his friend Matisse.
5) Gris's works from late 1916 through 1917 exhibit a greater simplification of geometric structure, a blurring of the distinction between objects and setting, between subject matter and background.
6) The clear-cut underlying geometric framework of these works seemingly controls the finer elements of the compositions; the constituent components become part of the unified whole.
Date of Birth