Click To See the Unity View
Click To See the 2D View
1) Rajiv Ratna Gandhi was an Indian politician who served as the 6th Prime Minister of India from 1984 to 1989. He took office after the 1984 assassination of his mother, Prime Minister Indira Gandhi.
2) He introduced policies that bordered on light-footed reforms of the existing economic agenda of the country which was based on protectionism following the Soviet model.
3) Going against the traditional socialism, Rajiv Gandhi decided to improve the bilateral relationships with the United States of America.
4) The Bofors arm Scandal was a major black mark on the political image of Rajiv Gandhi that lead to his party defeat in elections in 1989.
5) He sent an Indian Peace Keeping Force to help end the Sri Lankan Civil War between the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) and the Sri Lankan military.
6) Rajiv Gandhi, now a former Prime Minister of India was assassinated by a suicide bombing in Sriperumbudur, Chennai, in Tamil Nadu, India on 21 May 1991 blamed on the Tamils.
Date of Birth