Click To See the Unity View
Click To See the 2D View
1) Zachary Taylor is most famous for his long military career and his victories in the Mexican-American War. He died from a contaminated snack that caused him to succumb to cholera.
2) Zachary was born in Virginia, but his parents moved to Kentucky when he was still a baby. He grew up in the frontier country of Kentucky living most of his childhood in a log cabin.
3) Taylor commanded the U.S forces in several battles during the Mexican-American War which was fought largely over the annexation of Texas by the United States.
4) His success in the Battle of Palo Alto and the Battle of Buena Vista made him a war hero. People began to compare him to George Washington and Andrew Jackson.
5) Despite having little to do with politics throughout his military career, Taylor ran for president in the 1848 elections. He was nominated by the Whig party.
6) Despite being a slave owner himself, Taylor thought that slavery should not be allowed in the new states in the west. Many Southerners were surprised and angry since he was a slave owner himself.
Date of Birth